THE PREMIUM SMARTWATCH FOR YOU
It’s undeniable, technology is everywhere.
Our cars have proximity sensors that alert and avert collisions. They can even self-drive themselves to our desired destination. Our homes can be lit up differently and the temperature adjusted accurately through voice commands. Heck, even our microwave ovens can figure out how to best cook our meals with the press of a button!
So it was never a matter of ‘if’ but rather ‘when’ would technology catch up to the watches we wear. And when would they make their way into our ‘premium wear’ shelf.
The answer is, now.
But first, what is a smartwatch?
The smartwatch is arguably the most popular among the rising trend of ‘wearable’ devices. Simply put, it is a watch that functions as a mini-phone at this stage, surely headed towards the direction of a mini-computer soon.
Here are 10 features of smartwatches that make them a must-have for any watch enthusiast.
- Notifications : Justifiably the stand out feature of the current crop of smartwatches is notifications. Think about it this way, you’re waiting for an important message and every time your phone beeps you remove it from your pocket or bag only to realize it’s just a personal message or a relative sending forwards. Beyond a point, this removing and putting back of your phone begins to get infuriating. Now imagine having to merely lift your wrist and being able to swipe out all the unnecessary notifications until you receive the one you’ve been waiting for.Notifications brings to the forefront the information and insights you require, in a byte-sized form.
- Fitness : Health and fitness has become more of a lifestyle than a necessity in recent years. With brands such as Garmin and Fitbit bringing monitoring to your wrists through their range of fitness bands, it was inevitable that smartwatches would take their place as the definitive solution for health and fitness tracking. The Apple Watch Series 2 put a significant degree of importance on its fitness features. Furthermore, most smartwatches are touting specific GPS and waterproof features aimed at fitness enthusiasts. Motion sensor and heart rate monitors also help to ensure you’re not causing your body unduly harm during rigorous workout sessions.The screen size of smartwatches provides for an intuitive interface for fitness and health monitoring, as opposed to fitness bands that provide bare bone information through a simple digital display.
- Assistant : Put down the pitchforks and stones, we know smartwatches have a long way to go before they may truly be called ‘digital assistants’ and we recognize that the current batch of digital assistants from Amazon, Google, Apple, and Samsung have a lot of ‘learning’ to do. But they are getting better, and this benefit will seamlessly translate into smartwatches. Even in its primitive form, we are easily able to store a reminder, make a call, or reply to a message using our smartwatches.
- Navigation : We’ve all had to keep pulling over to the side of the road to remove our smartphones and navigate through Google or Apple maps. Imagine having turn-by-turn directions displayed directly on your wrist. This can be particularly useful as direction prompts aren’t given at close intervals for long stretches of road. It is also useful for those of us that need constant reassurance that we’re on the right route.
- Music : Need the latest tracks playing in the background while you study/work? Need the latest workout mixes while you jog? Your smartwatch can do you one better than your phone, as smartwatches come with their own memory and do not require your smartphone to play music. Android compatible smartwatches come with at least 4 GB of memory, while the Apple Watch comes with 8 GB. Both large enough to carry at least a few hundred songs. Furthermore, with 4G and competitively priced data plans, streaming music from Spotify, Apple Music, or Google Music isn’t anymore a thing of the future.
- Style statement : Michael Kors, Montblanc, Tag Huer, and even Fossil have brought forth designer watches that are as much attention grabbers in terms of fashion as much as the technology underneath them. Many smartwatches come with interchangeable dials and straps, allowing you the liberty and luxury of customizing your attire right down to your watch.And the customization doesn’t stop there. Feel free to change the visual themes of your smartwatch to suit any occasion, with a wide variety of themes available ranging from formal to casual to even sci-fi.
- Connected : Feel like having a quick conversation with a loved one? Need to take an important work call? Feel like seeing and waving hello to your kid or grandparent? Or maybe sharing a funny incident or joke with friends? All done from the comfort of your wrist.
- Safety : We would all agree that it is priceless to be able to track an elderly parent or young infant when they aren’t reachable via a phone call. Smartwatches offer the ability to track via the phone’s GPS.Take another scenario. You’re out cycling and venture off course. Your smartwatch can instantly notify you of your wrong turn and set you back on course. This provides for an additional sense of safety.
- Future features : It is but merely a matter of time before features such as the ability to view your home’s or office’s security cameras, the ability to remotely control your Roomba or Mi vacuum cleaner, or the ability to view holographic interfaces right from your smartwatch are standard features rather than proof of concepts.
Time : Yes, smartwatches tell time too ;).
‘WATCH’ OUT FOR …
We’d be amiss if we didn’t mention the Fossil success story.
Fossil has experienced unprecedented growth in the smartwatch segment. In fact, the Fossil group has stated that the smartwatch division is their strongest and fastest growing product category in the past decade.
This exponential success curve hasn’t gone unnoticed. One of the mammoth two companies that builds the software ecosystem for smartwatches, Google, just agreed to a USD $40 million deal to buy out a sizable portion of the intellectual property and Research and Development division of Fossil.
As mentioned by the Vice President of Wear OS (Google’s operating system for Android based smartwatches), Stacey Burr, this acquisition is monumental in Google’s efforts to support the ever-evolving needs of the ‘vitality seeking and on-the-go consumer’.
So what got Fossil such acclaim? Their focus on the amalgamation of technology and style. Their understanding of consumer behavior along with the ‘needs’ and ‘wants’ of individuals and professionals today.
DID YOU KNOW?
The Fossil Group has a wide range of designer watch brands under its portfolio. Brands such as Michael Kors, DKNY, Diesel, Kate Spade, Skagen, and even Armani.
Things to remember when buying a smartwatch
While it may seem like a no-brainer to just pick any smartwatch you may like, there are actually a few nuances to keep in mind and we at C.T. Pundole & Sons Pvt. Ltd. strive to provide the best possible guidance. And if we may, we’re all technology enthusiasts here, so you may be rest assured that you are in good hands.
Here are a few basic things to keep in mind when buying a smartwatch.
- Smartphone : The Apple Watch will only work on iOS devices. Most Wear OS watches come with support for Android and iOS, however expect to see a few features missing on iOS devices.
- Apps : If you’re buying a smartwatch for a particular purpose, ensure the smartwatch has the particular apps you need to fulfil that purpose.
- Replacement parts : If you are looking at spending upwards of ₹20,000/- on a smartwatch, make sure the company produces replacement bands and dials, and that they have them in stock.
- Fitness : If you’re a fitness enthusiast or are health conscious, ensure the smartwatch has a heart rate monitor and GPS tracking.
- Hybrid : Be aware that hybrid watches provide for a limited set of smartwatch features, and have an analog dial rather than a digital display.
- Battery life : If you anticipate extended usage, look out for a smartwatch with a larger battery.
Luxury SMARTWATCH? WE CAN HELP
Selecting a luxury smartwatch is a process in of itself. It requires a true watch connoisseur to deeply analyze an individual’s personality and then present to him/her a select few luxury smartwatches that accentuate his/her style. We at C.T. Pundole & Sons Pvt. Ltd. have the esteemed privilege of being watch experts for over three generations. This allows for us to appreciate the craftsmanship and uniqueness of each timepiece, while simultaneously understanding the solutions technology brings to the lifestyles of today.
So whether you are looking for an all round solution such as is found in the Montblanc Summit 2 or for unique customization as found in the Tag Heuer Connected Modular 45, we have just the luxury smartwatch for you.